Transcript Notation (Zero Credit Hours)
- This internship course provides students with an opportunity to expand on their
internship experiences by reflecting on their experience during a midterm evaluation.
- Students are eligible to receive 0 credit hours and transcript notation.
- Note: There is a $50 course fee to add this internship course.
- In order to participate students must have secured their internship in advance.
- Receive official Univeristy recognition of the internship through a notation on your transcript
- Maintain full-time student status. This status can allow students to remain covered by family health insurance and defer the repayment of student loans.
If you have financial aid, please contact the Office of Student Financial Aid. Most students doing internships for transcript notation are not eligible for financial aid for that semester. Financial aid is based upon the number of hours you are enrolled.
- Gain valuable work experience without needing to pay full tuition. This is particularly helpful at sites where internships are not paid.
- Registering an internship often fulfills an organization’s credit requirement to complete the internship.
- Complete an internship evaluation to reflect on your growth throughout your internship.
- Your supervisor will complete an evaluation and provide you with valuable feedback.
- Help the University of Iowa build relationships with more organizations to host interns in the future
- Develop a relationship with the Pomerantz Career Center if you need assistance during your internship
- Help the University track how many students are completing internships to aid in research, assessment, accreditation, and financial aid for future students
- Professional experience which relates to student's major field or area of career interest
- At least 80% professional work
- Occupies at least one academic term (fall, spring or summer)
- Full or part-time intern must work a minimum of 10 hours per week
- Intern must work at least 10 weeks during spring or fall term, or 8 weeks in summer
- Requires continuous supervision by a professional in the field (not a student)
- Intern must have completed 1st year and 12 semester hours of UI Coursework
What if I have already graduated?
If you are a recent graduate looking for work experience or considering a career change, an internship can be a great way to get an "insider's" view of a new career. An internship will help you gain valuable experience and will also help you decide if it is the right field for you.
If you would like to have your internship experience noted on your transcript for 0 credit hours, you must first register as a non-degree student with the Office of Admissions. You must also be set up to register for the semester - please do so by contacting the Academic Advising office at 319-353-5700. Once you have been admitted as a non-degree seeking student and have received a “registration number”, please follow the steps under the "Instructions for Registering" button above.
What if I am an international student needing to register for Curricular Practical Training (CPT)?
Follow the steps in the "Instructions for Registering" link above. In addition to those steps, international students must also receive authorization from the Office of International Students and Scholar Services (ISSS) - CPT instructions here.
Agreement if Registering for the 0 Credit Hour Internship Course
- Professional conduct: I understand that I am to act in a professional manner at all times. I understand that it is my responsibility to find out from my internship site the specific details of my duties, work schedule, compensation, and benefits. I understand that I will be subject to the rules and regulations of the internship site.
- Health/accident insurance: I understand that it is my own responsibility to carry appropriate health and accident insurance during my internship.
- Unemployment compensation: I understand that as a student enrolled in an internship or cooperative education experience, I will not be eligible to file for unemployment compensation from the University of Iowa and may not be eligible to file for unemployment compensation from my internship site.
- As an intern/cooperative education student, I agree to register my experiential learning experience with the Pomerantz Career Center; fulfill my responsibilities to the Pomerantz Career Center, appropriate faculty, and internship site; and notify the Pomerantz Career Center if my internship status changes after the start of my assignment.
- I understand that continued use of career center resources is contingent upon my adherence to this agreement.
Click here to GO BACK to the main Reporting/Credit Options page.