Allerton Big 10+ Conference – Wednesday, July 10 – Friday, July 12
The University of Iowa is excited to host the 2019 Allerton Hire BIG10+ Conference! We look forward to welcoming you to Iowa City and the opportunity to connect with fellow Big 10+ career service professionals in engaging conversations and sharing of best practices.
For those who are new to member institutions, the Allerton Conference has a rich history. It began many years ago as a summer meeting of career center directors from across the Big 10 and was held at the Allerton Park & Retreat Center (part of the University of Illinois). Over time, the conference still retains the "Allerton" name but rotates locations each summer across host institutions and the original Allerton Park & Retreat Center. Dress is casual and comfortable with discussion session topics determined by registrants. It is a wonderful opportunity to network, learn and share best practices from across member institutions.
The Conference will kick off on Wednesday, July 10 with a reception at the Kinnick Stadium Press Box. The Conference will wrap-up on Friday, July 12 with breakfast and a final program.
We look forward to your participation in this annual event!
Registration is now closed. Contact Joanna Halsch at 319-353-2816 for a late addition.
A block of rooms has been made at the following downtown hotels:
Graduate Iowa City - 210 S Dubuque Street, Iowa City, IA, 52240 - Phone: 319-337-4058 ($125-$145 rate)
Hilton Garden Inn - 328 S Clinton Street, Iowa City, IA, 52240 - Phone: 319-248-6100 ($139 rate)
Iowa House Hotel - 125 N Madison St, Iowa City, IA 52245 (Campus hotel within Iowa Memorial Union) - Phone: 319-335-3513 ($95 rate - ask for Group Code 9872)
All hotels are within a 10 minute walking distance of campus and the Iowa Memorial Union where most meals and break out sessions will be held. Iowa House Hotel is part of the Iowa Memorial Union. Graduate Iowa City is on the pedestrian mall close to shops, bars and restaurants. Hilton Garden Inn is about a block from the pedestrian mall and also where Awards Dinner and Social Hour will be held on Thursday evening.
Travel by Car: Iowa City is about 300 miles from Chicago, St. Louis, Minneapolis, Omaha, and Kansas City.
Traveling by plane:
Airports near campus include:
- Eastern Iowa Airport (CID)—About a 30-minute drive from campus
- Quad City International Airport (MLI)—About a 60-minute drive from campus
- Des Moines International Airport (DSM)—About a 2.5-hour drive from campus
For those you are flying in, you may find better deals on flights in and out of Chicago. If you wanted to fly into Chicago earlier in the week and do some employer visits, you could rent a car and it is an easy drive to Iowa City from Chicago. O'Hare International Airport is about a 3.5 hour drive to campus and Midway is about a 4 hour drive to campus.
Traveling by bus:
Call the Iowa City depot at 319-337-2127 for complete ground transportation options (ask about student discounts!). Transportation providers include:
Several city-owned parking ramps are in near distance to the Iowa Memorial Union as well as Downtown Iowa City. Ramps in downtown Iowa City and parking meters are controlled by the City of Iowa City. Parking meters are strictly enforced.
Wednesday, July 10
3:00 -4:00 p.m. YouScience Training
4:45 -6:15 p.m. Welcome Social, Rotating Kinnick Stadium Tours & Newcomers Meet-Up
6:15 – 8:00 p.m. *Dinner at Kinnick Stadium Press Box
Thursday, July 11
7:45 – 9:30 a.m. Conference Check-in Available and *Breakfast
8:30 – 9:30 a.m. Welcome and Opening Keynote, Dr. Rich Feller
9:45 – 10:45 a.m. Session #1
11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Session #2
12:15 – 2:00 p.m. *Lunch & Business meeting
2:15 – 2:45 p.m. Knowledge Communities
3:00 – 4:00 p.m. Session #3
4:00 – 5:00 p.m. Optional Tour of Pomerantz Career Center
5:30 – 6:30 p.m. Social Hour at Hilton Garden Inn
6:30 – 8:00 p.m. *Dinner & Hire Big 10+ Consortium Awards at Hilton Garden Inn
Friday, July 12
8:30 – 10:00 a.m. *Breakfast Available
9:30 – 10:00 a.m. Send-Off/Closing Remarks & Lightning Session: 'Keeping Pace with the Speed of Change'
10:15 – 11:15 a.m. Session #4
*Meal included with conference registration fee.
BREAK OUT SESSION 1: Thursday, July 11, 9:45 - 10:45 a.m.
- Letting Your Work Shine: How do you continue to learn, grow, and develop? with Dr. Rich Feller
- From College to Career: Utilizing Competency & Career Readiness Models
- Branding & Marketing Strategies
- Supporting Special Populations: International Students, Military Affiliated Students, Non-Traditional Students, & Distance Learners
- Evolving the Career Fair Experience: Engaging Employers & Students
BREAK OUT SESSION 2: Thursday, July 11, 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Scaling Services with Limited Resources (technology, peer programs, group advising)
- Assessment, Data Collection, & ROI
- Supporting Special Populations: Students of Color, LGBTQ Students, First Gen Students, & Undocumented Students
- Beyond the Fair: Fostering Meaningful Employer & Student Connections
- Career Curriculum & Courses
BREAK OUT SESSION 3: Thursday, July 11, 3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Helping Students Who Are Co-Navigating Career & Mental Health Concerns
- The Future of Student Resources: Leveraging Websites, Publications, Apps, & External Vendors
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Career Services: Policies, Approaches, and Initiatives
- Navigating Industry Specific Hiring Trends
- Building a Career Ecosystem: Academic & Campus Partnerships
BREAK OUT SESSION 4: Friday, July 12, 10:15 a.m. - 11:15 a.m.
- Making Rapid Change in a Slow-Moving Environment
- Tools & Assessments for Career Exploration & Professional Development
- Generating Revenue in Career Services (Corporate Relations, Grants, etc.)
- Experiential Education & High-Impact Practices (internships, treks, co-ops, etc.)
- Alumni Services & Engagement
Take the famous Iowa Literary Walk