Seeking a job after graduation? Are you an international student?
Please considering joining our Job Search Support Group for International Students at The University of Iowa Pomerantz Career Center!
What this group is:
The purpose of this group is to support the job-seeking obstacles that international students face by providing new ideas, applicable resources, and a sense of community. Topics include:
- Preparing for job interviews
- Practicing communication and interpersonal skills
- Understanding employment barriers
- Exploring American work culture
- Managing personal and family expectations
- Dealing with stress
What this group isn’t:
- This group is not an information session. Your active participation, willingness to contribute, and openness to support others is a must.
- This group is not intended for domestic students looking for work opportunities abroad.
- This group is by no means a guarantee of employment, but rather to support as you conduct your own search.
What can I get from the group?
- Job seeking can be emotionally taxing. The group will be a source of emotional support.
- You’ll have a space where you can hone your interview skills, communication skills, multicultural competence, and professionalism.
- Attending this group will help you enhance your networking skills and connect with people.
Who does qualify for attending the group?
To be a part of this group, you need to meet the criteria below.
- Current international undergraduate students at UI who are graduating in May, 2016 from the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
- Looking for full-time employment
- Available on Wednesday afternoons from 3:00 to 4:30 pm
When does it start and how often will we meet?
Wednesday, March 23rd through May 4th, meeting weekly from 3:00 - 4:30 pm for seven total sessions
Facilitators also have a pre-meeting session with each applicant in early March. This meeting is required to discuss the qualification, availability, and expected commitments of the participants.
How can I apply?
Please complete the application at the following link: https://uiowa.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_eyypnv0Ip3By1OB
Early applications will have first priority. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until the eight spots in the group have been filled.
About the facilitators
Soeun Park, M.A. is an international doctoral student in Counseling Psychology at UI and currently doing her practicum at the Pomerantz Career Center. She is interested in helping international students with navigating their career journey. She is supervised by Dr. Saba Rasheed Ali in the College of Education.
Mallory Becraft, M.Ed, NCC is a career advisor at the Pomerantz Career Center. She is passionate about holistically working with college students in their career development process. She firmly believes in everyone’s unique potential to reach their goals.
Questions about the group? Please call the Career Center at 319-335-1023.