Business & Entrepreneurship
- Do you consider yourself to have strong communication, management, or numerical skills?
- Are you interested in learning about marketing a product or conducting a financial analysis?
- Does it sound like fun to try to persuade or influence those around you?
- Could you see yourself working in a corporate environment collaborating with others to accomplish company goals?
Careers in this community focus on leading people and projects, developing business plans, and preparing accounting records.
Meet the Community Advisors
Sample Occupations & Industries
Click Here to learn where Hawkeyes GO & what they DO after graduation.
- Accounting and Auditing
- Account Executive
- Administrative Service Manager
- Advertising, Marketing, Public Relations and Sales Managers
- Budget Analyst
- Claims Adjusters, Appraisers, Examiners, and Investigators
- Cost Estimators
- Financial Analyst and Advisor
- Financial Managers
- Financial Service Sales Agents
- Human Resource Managers
- Human Resource, Recruitment and Labor Relations Spcialist
- Insurance Agent
- Insurance Underwriter
- Investment Banker
- Loan Officer
- Management Analyst and Consultant
- Meeting and Convention Planners
- Personal Financial Advisor
- Purchasing Managers, Buyers, and Purchasing Agents
- Real Estate Appraisers and Assessors
- Real Estate Broker and Agent
- Sales Managers
- Securities, Commodities, and Financial Services Sales Agents
To research various UI majors, minors and certificates, visit Find Your Program.
Vault for UI Students (click on Guides) for in-depth intelligence on what it's like to work within an industry, profession or company.
SPORTS & RECREATION MANAGEMENT
Want to put your interests to good use? Visit the College of Business Student Organizations site where you will find service/professional development and academic-oriented opportunities.
Also visit the Center for Student Involvement and Leadership website where you can discover student organizations which relate to business and entrepreneurship.
Some examples of organizations that may be of interest include:
- Alpha Kappa Psi
- American Advertising Federation
- American Marketing Association
- Beta Alpha Psi
- Financial Management Association
- I-Envision Entrepreneurship
- Multi-Cultural Business Students Association
- Net Impact Iowa
- Society for Human Resource Management
- Women in Business
Also considering volunteering as a way to explore your interests, build your resume, and connect with the community!
- Volunteer Center of Johnson County (search for opportunities in the local area)
- UI Alternative Spring Break Trips
- UI Volunteer Fair (held at the start of each semester)
In addition, you can find activities and events related to your interests via After Class
|Check out student employment, internships & post-graduation full-time jobs in HireaHawk.com, powered by Handshake. Employers targeting University of Iowa students & alumni use this recruiting system to connect with you!|
Professional organizations are a great way to explore, prepare, experience, and achieve your career interests and goals!
- Explore - Learn what people in the industry do, talk about, and take action on
- Prepare - Learn about job titles, companies, and organizational/thought leaders
- Experience - Check out resources, including specialized job boards and LinkedIn groups to locate mentors and job shadowing/informational interview opportunities
- Achieve - Polish your professional image by taking an active part in your industry’s association. Reach your goals through networking and the professional development opportunities your association provides.
Plus, professional associations often offer discounted memberships to students!
Accounting & Finance
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
American Accounting Association
Association for Financial Professionals
Association of Government Accountants
American Association of Latino Professionals in Finance and Accounting
Accounting & Financial Women's Alliance
Financial Management Association
Financial Planning Association
Iowa Society of CPAs
National Society of Accountants
National Association of Black Accountants
Real Estate Executive Council
The Association of Accountants & Financial Professionals in Business
Business Analytics & Information Systems
Association for Information Systems
International Institute of Business Analytics
Society for Information Management
ASHOKA (social entrepreneurship)
Edward Lowe Foundation
The Entrepreneurs' Club
United States Association for Small Business & Entrepreneurship
Young Entrepreneur Council
Management & Marketing
Academy of Management
American Advertising Federation
American Management Association
American Marketing Association
Association for Talent Development
Insights Association (Market Research)
Institute of Management Consultants
Public Relations Society of America
Society for Human Resource Management