Graduation Year: May 2016
Major, Minors, and Certificates: Computer Engineering
Minor: Mathematics and Computer Science
Hometown: Lee’s Summit, MO
Hobbies: Being Outdoors, Baseball (Go Royals!), Trying Local Restaurants, Volunteering
Internship: Software Consultant, Pariveda Solutions Inc.
What are your internship duties?
- I work with a small team designing and writing a web and mobile application for a large energy company. On a daily basis, I will have a couple of meetings either planning, reviewing or redesigning pieces of the application. The rest of the time I will be writing the code for whichever new functionality is assigned to me.
What are you most excited about for your internship?
- The project I am working on is a billable client project so I am doing the exact same work a newly hired college graduate would be doing. This internship is truly a trial run at a consulting career. I love that I get to learn and make mistakes by doing rather than just watching.
What has been your biggest challenge thus far?
- The learning curve. I was unfamiliar with the technologies being used to write my team’s application so I needed to try and learn a new programming language and methodology in about a week. I was able to get up to speed very quickly but I am by no means an expert yet and still learn new things every day.
What has this experience taught you for your future career?
- This experience has taught me a lot about how to build and maintain a relationship with a client and how to ultimately deliver them a product that they are satisfied with in the timeframe and budget they need. I have a much better understanding of how crucial strong social skills are for a career in consulting.
What advice would you give to other students seeking a summer internship?
- My best advice is to spend time researching opportunities and pursue what you think is a good fit for you passionately. I did a lot of research about Pariveda before getting an interview and had dinner with some Pariveda employees before my interview. By the end of the interview I was sure the internship was a good fit for me so I told my interviewer that Pariveda was my top choice and I would gladly accept an offer if one was extended. I think making my interest clear made a big difference.
Edited by: Jamie Gurgul, Student Blogger