If you are interested in exploring majors and careers, developing leadership skills, expanding communication skills, gaining experience, or searching for jobs or graduate schools, then we have the courses for YOU! Here are just five of the 22+ courses the Pomerantz Career Center offers to help better yourself and your future.
- Career Exploration: Do you want to avoid going home and staring blankly into your family, friends, and acquatinence’s face when asked countless questions about what you want to do for the rest of your life? Luckily, you don’t have to! The Pomerantz Career Center offers the course, Career Exploration, which helps you uncover your interests, identify your skills, and highlight your values so that you are able to find a possible major and career you can be passionate about, while also having legitimate reasons not to dread those unavoidable conversations.
- Perspectives on Leadership: Whether you relate to Monica’s interpretations of what it means to be a leader or you have your own, there is now a way for you to discover all different kinds of leadership techniques! By taking the course, Perspectives on Leadership, you will be able to find a technique that works best for you. This course will allow you to develop your current skillset, as well as provide you with approaches that give even more insight into what it means to be a leader. Having these skills can differentiate you among your peers, and allow you to grow and develop even more.
- Communication for the Workplace: As much as I would like to agree with Chandler, I simply cannot. Discussions do not have to be complicated if communicated effectively. However, effective communication is an acquired skill and is demonstrated in the course Communication for the Workplace! It will help you with verbal and written communication, develop your assertiveness skills, enhance your presentation skills, increase your confidence, and teach you how to appropriately use social media and email in the workplace. All of these things are taught hands-on and aim to develop your skillset. This knowledge will benefit you tremendously in the workplace and also make you an employee that is valued by your superiors and coworkers.
- Washington Center Internship Program: If you are looking for real-life experience and an opportunity to grow exponentially in the field of your choice, the Washington Center Internship Program can help you do just that! Here are a list of sample internships that they provide; United Way Worldwide, U.S. Department of Education, Federal Trade Commission, Financial Services Roundtable, Congressional offices, Urban Institute, Pan American Health Organization, U.S. Department of the Interior, Peace Corps, C-SPAN, Voice of America, U.S. Marshals Service, Federal courts, and law offices; in addition to the internship, program includes the LEAD Colloquium (Leadership, Civic Engagement, Achievement, and Career Development), an academic course with professional networking, participation in Presidential Lecture Series, and Congressional Breakfast Series. All of these and more can assist you in making your career aspirations become a reality!
- Job Search Strategies: Do you happen to want one of those job things one day? If so, you can get one step ahead by taking the Job Search Strategies course! It provides you with tools, skill development, and the time devoted to you. This course is personalized to you so that you are able to discover your values, goals, experiences, and skills to be able to find a career that best suits you! You will learn how to develop a professional cover letter, resume, and how to develop your interviewing and networking skills to establish your personal brand and confidence in an effective job search. After taking this course, getting one of those job things will be easier than ever!-Written by Brianne Holtkamp, Student blogger