Hey there, Hawkeyes!
It is that time of the semester again, where we all get to start preparing for the Job & Internship Fair! Perhaps these sorts of events make you feel anxious and slightly overwhelmed or, on the other hand, you may be excited for this professional development opportunity but feel slightly unprepared.
However you feel, the Pomerantz Career Center is here to discuss tactics and techniques you can utilize in order to lower your stress and enter the Job & Internship Fair more prepared.
BEFORE YOU ATTEND THE FAIR:
1. Log into HireaHawk and register for the fair. This is optional; however, we typically recommend students do this because the Career Fair will print your name and graduation year. After printing your name and choosing your graduation year sticker, you can slide your name into a name tag. https://uiowa.joinhandshake.com/
2. Visit the Pomerantz Career Center website to research which employers have registered for the fair. This eliminates wasting time inside the fair, ultimately giving you the advantage to look up internships/full-time job opportunities within each company. Make a list of the employers you would like to talk to and find out where their booth will be during the Career Fair.
3. Visit the Pomerantz Career Center for a Career Peer Advisor to review your resume or make an appointment with a Career Advisor on MyUI. If you decide to meet with a Career Peer Advisor (CPA), you do not have to make an appointment; you can come in as a walk-in anytime from M-F from 10am-3pm, C310 PCC. Do not forget to ask the CPA’s for any additional advice. Please DO NOT wait until the last minute to get your resume reviewed. As many students are preparing for the Career Fair, you will most likely wait a long time if you decide to push-off visiting the PCC until the week of the fair.
*CPA’s will be at the Career Fair to help students with any resume//professional development questions they may have*
4. Dress to impress. The more professional you look, the more confident you will feel. Confidence can help you keeping your cool while talking to employers.
JCPenney is partnering with the University of Iowa to offer career wear up to 70% off. Everything you need to finish your look for the Career Fair or an interview. Shop suits, dresses, coats, pants and shoes—all at deeply discounted prices. Clothing is 40% off any career merchandise that is regular, and already sale and clearance priced (Sephora and Styling purchases not included). Learn more about the event at: https://careers.uiowa.edu/suitup
5. Attend the Do’s, Don’ts & Donuts – Career Fair Tips session! Being a first or second year student can be a bit scary not knowing what to expect. Come and learn how to interact with employers and tips for making the most of your time at the fair.
Date: September 27th 2018
Time: 9:30 am – 10:00 am
Location: IMU Hubbard Commons
6. If you can, invest in a resume padfolio. A padfolio helps organize resumes, cover letters, business cards one may collect, and other information from employers.
[Padfolios will also be sold during the Career Fair and will be charged to your UBill if you decide to purchase one. Price: $20]
At the end of the day, just remember that employers are humans too. There is no need to feel overwhelmed. Employers understand that students are under a lot of stress and are considerate of the fact that students are still learning what it is like in the professional world.
Good luck and see you there!