Careers in Health & Wellness Week
Thinking that a career in healthcare is the path for you? Whether you are in the beginning stages of exploration or have solidified your choice, join us for specialized programming celebrating World Health Day and learn more about a variety of healthcare programs and occupations.
*Dress for all events is casual.
Tuesday, April 4th 4:30 – 6:30 pm, 1110 MERF, Dr. Prem Sahai Auditorium
Get the Real Scoop: UI Health Graduate Programs Panel & Froyo Social
Learn about UI’s professional health graduate programs during this panel featuring admission representatives from the:
- College of Dentistry
- College of Medicine
- College of Pharmacy
- Medical Scientist Training Program
- Physical Therapy Program
- Physician Assistant Program
Panelists will discuss admission requirements, experiences to acquire, and share tips and advice. After the panel, mingle with current graduate students from these programs to “get the real scoop” on what you need and want to know! Froyo from Ghurties's.
Wednesday, April 5th 1:30 – 2:30 pm, C130 Pomerantz Center
Discovering the World of Healthcare
Wanting to explore the field of healthcare to determine what path is best for you? Join a Pomerantz Career Center Advisor to learn about job shadow, volunteer, and campus jobs connected to the health field. Plus, hear from a UIHC student volunteer on the application process and what it means to volunteer at the University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics.
Wednesday, April 5th 5:00-7:00 pm, all sessions will begin at 1110 MERF, Dr. Prem Sahai Auditorium
Have you always been curious to see who works at the hospital and what they do every day? Now is your chance to get your hands dirty, see behind the scenes, and learn directly from multiple health professionals. Seats are *very limited* at this premier, hands-on event! RSVP at the following link: bit.ly/handsonhealth starting Monday, March 20 (RSVP ends on April 4). Sessions include:
- Orthoptic Training SESSION CANCELLED
- Perfusion Technology (FULL) -Explore the role of a perfusion technologist as you perform a cardiopulmonary bypass procedure in the perfusion simulation lab. Learn about an array of procedures commonly performed by perfusion technologists including heart and lung transplants, valve replacements and more.
- MRI Imaging & Research (15 seats) - See the facility’s image processing lab, the equipment room which houses the “brains” of our scanner, the Siemens 5T TIM Trio MRI scanner and the new 7 tesla scanner, which is so large the building was built around it. Learn about the cutting-edge research that is being performed with this scanner and career opportunities within MRI imaging and research.
- Lab Technicians (15 seats) - Take a tour of the DeGowin Blood Center, which is a hospital-based blood center providing more than 450 transfusions weekly to dependent UI Health Care patients and learn about the process of blood donation. Discover career opportunities within this area of pathology. You will engage in an activity where you will practice blood typing as you shadow a lab technician.
- Social Services (15 seats) -Learn about the role of social workers in health care. Put your social services skills to the test as you work through different scenarios and situations that social workers encounter in the healthcare setting to see if you have what it takes to work in Social Services.
- Guest Services/Health Administration (15 seats) - Explore career opportunities at UI Health Care that are critical for providing exceptional customer service that, combined with innovative health care, creates a very meaningful patient experience. Test your customer service and problem solving skills as you walk through various situations that Guest Services staff encounter and develop a solution to provide the highest customer satisfaction.
- Clinical Laboratory Scientist (15 seats) - Discover what it's like to work in pathology as you learn about careers in the field and what each of their roles include. Learn about equipment pathologists use in the lab including highly automated analyzers and decision-support software for testing patient samples as you tour UI Health Care's Clinical Core Laboratory which performs more than 3.5 million tests each year.
- Developmental Disabilities (15 seats) - Explore health care careers involved in treating children with developmental disabilites such as physical therapy and speech-language pathology. You will have the opportunity to test out the latest technology and devices used in the Center for Disabilities and Development with current students in Iowa's Leadership Education in Neurodevelopmental and other Related Disabilities (LEND) program.
Thursday, April 6th 2:00-3:00 pm, 350 BHC
Health and Wellness Research Opportunities
How do students on campus get involved in research in the first place? Come learn from staff and student ambassadors from the Iowa Center for Research by Undergraduates (ICRU) and the Pomerantz Career Center to learn how to gain relevant research experience. (Bonus: You might even be able to get paid or earn academic credit!)
Thursday, April 6th 5:00-6:00 pm, C217 CPHB
What IS Public Health?
Heard the term “public health,” but not exactly sure what it means? Join representatives from the College of Public Health to learn more about this dynamic and varied field and to gather information on the new undergraduate public health major. In addition, put your sleuthing skills to work as you play “Zombie Disease Detective.”
In Partnership with: College of Dentistry, College of Medicine, College of Pharmacy, College of Public Health, Iowa Center for Research by Undergraduates, and UI Hospitals & Clinics