Data & Information Technology
- Do you consider yourself to be a systematic, precise, or efficient person?
- Are you interested in learning about preparing statistical charts, writing code, or analyzing data?
- Does it sound like fun to test computer programs and software applications?
- Could you see yourself working in a constantly changing high-tech environment?
Careers in this community focus on developing computer systems, managing computer networks, and interpreting and presenting data to address industry problems.
Meet the Community Advisors
Sample Occupations & Industries
Click Here to learn where Hawkeyes GO & what they DO after graduation.
- Actuarial Analyst
- Actuarial Assystant
- Applications Analyst
- Applications Programmer
- Applied Mathematician
- Business Analyst
- Chemical Informaticist
- Circuit Designer
- Computer Mathematician
- Computer Operator
- Computer Support Service Specialist
- Cost Estimator
- Data Mapper
- Data Analyst
- Data Systems Engineer
- Database Analyst
- Database Designer
- Design Team Manager
- Digital Artist
- Hardware Engineer
- Health Informaticist
- Human-Computer Interface Designer
- Information Architect
- Information Scientist
- Information Systems Manager
- Insurance Risk Manager
- Insurance Underwriter
- Inventory Controller
- IT Consultant
- Logic Designer
- Logistics Coordinator
- Management Analyst
- Markeet Research Analyst
- Market Researcher
- Media Specialist
- Network Engineer
- Network Manager
- Network Support Analyst
- Numerical Analyst
- Operations Manager
- Operations Research Analyst
- Pharmaceutical Statistician
- Product Manager
- Production Planner
- Project Manager
- Quality Control Analyst
- Quality Assurance Manager
- Research Technician
- Risk Analyst
- Sales Representative
- Software Developer
- Software Engineer
- Software Tester
- Systems Administrator
- Systems Analyst
- Systems Maintenance Specialist
- Technical Writer
- Telecommunications Specialist
- Theoretical Mathematician
- Web Designer
- Web Developer
- Usability Analyst
To research various UI majors, minors and certificates, visit Find Your Program.
Want to put your interests to good use? Join with other students who share them. Discover student organizations which relate to data and technology at the Center for Student Involvement and Leadership. You can browse the database by letter or search by keyword or name for locating student organizations.
Some examples of organizations that may be of interest are:
- Actuarial Science Club
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
- Math Club
- Tippie Technology and Innovation Association
- Women in Informatics and Computer Science (WICS)
Volunteering is another great way to explore your interests, build your resume, and connect with the community!
- Volunteer Center of Johnson County
- Hawkeye Service Breaks
- UI Student Involvement Fair (held at the start of each semester)
If you don’t want to join a club or don’t have the time, you can find activities and events related to your interests via After Class.
Check out student employment, internships & post-graduation full-time jobs in Handshake. Employers targeting University of Iowa students & alumni use this recruiting system to connect with you!
Professional organizations are a great way to explore, prepare, experience and achieve!
Explore - Learn what people in the industry do, talk about, and take action on
Prepare - Learn about job titles, companies, and organizational/thought leaders
Experience - Check out resources, including specialized job boards and LinkedIn groups to locate mentors and job shadowing/informational interview opportunities
Achieve - Polish your professional image by taking an active part in your industry’s association. Reach your goals through networking and the professional development opportunities your association provides.
Plus, professional associations often offer discounted memberships to students!
- The American Society for Information Science and Technology
- Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education
- Association of Information Technology Professionals
- Computing Research Association
- Association for Computing Machinery
- Association for Women in Computing
- Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics
- Association for Women in Mathematics