Employer User Agreement & Posting Guidelines
There is no fee to use the University of Iowa's Handshake site. By creating a Handshake account, you agree to comply with the Handshake Terms of Service.
By establishing an account/posting positions, you agree to the following statement: I agree that I will be solely responsible for the content of my profile and the content of all listings that I post in the system and that I will indemnify The University of Iowa and hold it harmless for any losses or damages that may result directly or indirectly from any usage of the system. I understand that my account may be suspended or deactivated without prior notice at any time for any reason.
1. All job postings must be for legitimate openings. No multi-level marketing jobs, mystery shopper, door-to-door sales, home-based businesses, or "business opportunity" postings are allowed.
2. For a position to be posted as a student employment job, it must meet these requirements:
- Be part-time - part-time is defined as 20 hours per week during the academic year and up to 40 hours per week in the summer for University campus jobs and no more than 30 hours per week during the academic year for off-campus jobs
- Be local - local is defined as an employer whose offices or operations and job location are within 30 miles of Iowa City
- Be paid by the hour
- Full-time, salary or commission jobs cannot be advertised as student employment jobs
3. For an off-campus student employment job to be posted as Work-Study, the employer must be approved by the Student Financial Aid Office. To be approved the employer must be a non-profit or government agency.
- To learn more about the approval process, go to: https://financialaid.uiowa.edu/studentemployment/employers/employers/hiring/approval or contact Student Financial staff at 319-335-1450.
4. For a position to be listed as an internship, it must meet these requirements:
- Professional experience which relates to the student's major field or area of career interest
- At least 80% professional work
- Occupies at least one academic term (fall, spring or summer)
- At least 10 weeks in duration during the spring or fall term, or 8 weeks during the summer
- Interns must work a minimum of 10 hours per week
- Requires continuous supervision by a professional in the field (not a student)
5. Every full-time job must require/prefer at least a Bachelor’s degree.
6. Part-time student employment (must be within 30 miles of campus) and part-time professional positions may be posted in the system. A part-time professional position is one that is defined as requiring/preferring a bachelor's degree and relates to a 4-year degree career path).
7. The job title, description and requirements must be included. Organizations must identify themselves and the location of the position.
8. Third party recruiters, search firms, employment consultants and placement services must identify themselves as such and must not require a placement fee from the student.
9. Study abroad programs, internship placements abroad, and teaching placements abroad that include a placement fee cannot be posted on the University of Iowa's Handshake site - if so, they will be declined. Organizations should contact Work, Intern and Volunteer Abroad at the Office of Study Abroad.
10. Employers using the University of Iowa's Handshake site agree to abide by the laws and policies regarding Equal Employment Opportunity as defined by the EEOC. The Pomerantz Career Center reserves the right to decline any employers/postings that do not follow these policies.
11. Contact information must be kept current and available to the Pomerantz Career Center and Student Employment staff along with additional data (full name, address, phone, email).
12. It is the responsibility of the employer to cancel a posting if the opportunity has been filled or closed or to renew the posting if desired, by extending the expiration date.
13. The Pomerantz Career Center reserves the right to determine if an employer, contact or posting is in violation of the guidelines. Employers, contacts or postings that are in violation of the guidelines are subject to being removed immediately and without notice. By posting your job or internship, you agree that it is in compliance with our guidelines. In order to prevent abuse and to keep the system appropriate for our students, we reserve the right to remove any employer, contact or posting without prior notice, at any time for any reason.