Health & Wellness
- Do you consider yourself to be nurturing, curious, or solution-focused?
- Are you interested in learning about how the body works and how to keep it healthy?
- Does it sound like fun to work at a hospital, clinic, laboratory, or recreation center?
- Could you see yourself working with specific populations, like athletes, children, senior citizens, or animals?
Careers in this community focus on decreasing illness and injury and supporting others to be healthy and wholesome.
Meet the Community Advisors
Want to get involved in global health? Come hear students talk about how they completed internships, study abroad and research in Global Health Studies. Monday, 10/22, 2520D UCC, 5:00 - 6:30 PM. Enjoy free food from Oasis Falafel. Everyone is welcome!
Right to Health in a Changing World, 3-day 1 sh hour class (GHS: 3030 Fall 2018). Global Health Conference, Nov. 2-4, 2018. Register via MyUI.
Connect with organizations hiring for pathology & laboratory medicine talent during the ASCP Virtual Career Fair, Oct. 5th. Register now.
Sample Occupations & Industries
Click Here to learn where Hawkeyes GO & what they DO after graduation.
- Athletic Trainer
- Child Life Specialist
- Dietitian Nutritionist
- Exercise Physiologist
- Genetic Counselor
- Global Health Manager
- Health Administrator
- Health Coach
- Medical Lab Scientist
- Nuclear Medicine Technologist
- Nurse Practitioner
- Occupational Therapist
- Personal Trainer
- Physical Therapist
- Physician Assistant
- Public Health Officer
- Radiologic Technologist
- Recreational Therapist
- Speech-Language Pathologist
- Aspiring Docs
- Bureau of Labor Statistics - Healthcare Occupations
- College Grad - Healthcare Occupations
- Explore Health Careers
- Health Career Finder
- Medical, Nursing, & Physical Health Occupations
- Vault Resources for UI Students (Click on "Guides", then "Pharm & Healthcare")
- University of Iowa Academic Advising Center Pre-Health Guides
To research various UI majors, minors and certificates, visit Find Your Program.
Want to put your interests to good use? Join other students who share them. Discover student organizations which relate to Health & Wellness at the Center for Student Involvement and Leadership. You can browse the database by letter or search by keyword or name for locating student organizations.
Some examples of organizations that may be of interest:
- American Association of Nursing Students
- Colleges Against Cancer
- Dance Marathon
- Global Health Club
- Health and Wellness Society
- Medicus Pre-Medical Society
- National Student Speech-Language-Hearing Society
- Pre-Dental Club
- Pre-Physical Therapy Club
- UI Special Olympics
Also consider volunteering as a way to explore your interests, build your resume, and connect with the community!
In addition, you can find activities and events related to your interests via After Class
Check out student employment, internships & post-graduation full-time jobs in HireaHawk.com, powered by Handshake. Employers targeting University of Iowa students & alumni use this recruiting system to connect with you!
- UI Summer Research Programs
- Iowa Center for Research by Undergraduates (ICRU)
- National Science Foundation - Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) Sites
- Pathways to Science Summer Research Opportunities
- Summer Biochemistry & Molecular Biology Research Programs
- Summer Pre-Health & Research Opportunities
- American Nursing Association Career Center
- American Public Health Association Career Mart
- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention - Internships
- Exercise Jobs
- Health eCareers
- Health Jobs Nationwide
- Jobs in Health Care, Medicine, & Pharmaceuticals
- Premier Health & Fitness
- World Health Organization - Internships
Post-graduate opportunities may also be of interest:
Professional organizations are a great way to explore, prepare, experience, and achieve your career interests and goals!
- Explore - Learn what people in the industry do, talk about, and take action on
- Prepare - Learn about job titles, companies, and organizational/thought leaders
- Experience - Check out resources, including specialized job boards and LinkedIn groups to locate mentors and job shadowing/informational interview opportunities
- Achieve - Polish your professional image by taking an active part in your industry’s association. Reach your goals through networking and the professional development opportunities your association provides.
Plus, professional associations often offer discounted memberships to students!