City, State Zip
Dear Mr./Ms. _________,
1st Element: State the purpose of the letter
Explain what you are offering 1 paragraph
- Why are you writing this letter? State that you are proposing to work for their organization as an INTERN. State a project you wish to work on or position you wish to have.
- Explain to the employer how working as an intern will benefit them.
- State when you will be available.
2nd Element: Show your knowledge of the organization
Explain why you are a good fit 1 to 3 short paragraphs
- Explain why you targeted this specific organization.
- Demonstrate your knowledge of the company’s products, services, or operations.
- Explain those parts of your experience – including academic background, relevant work experience and appropriate personal qualities/transferable skills that will be of interest to the employer.
- State a specific skill or ability required for this position – use key terms.
- Demonstrate that you are interested in learning and working hard.
- Be brief and focus on your ability to contribute.
3rd Element: Request an interview or meeting 1 paragraph
- Take the initiative - request an interview or meeting appointment OR tell the reader you will
contact them soon in order to see if you can schedule a mutually convenient appointment. State when you are available and how to be reached at your phone number
Thank you for your time and consideration,