Law & Public Service
- Do you consider yourself to be ambitious, resilient, or optimistic?
- Are you interested in learning about developing public policy or addressing issues through governmental initiatives?
- Does it sound like fun to argue legal issues or lead a civic improvement project?
- Could you see yourself working for a city, state, or federal agency or non-profit organization?
Careers in this community focus on public affairs, politics, and serving the community.
Meet the Community Career Coaches
Sample Industries & Occupations
Click Here to learn where Hawkeyes GO & what they DO after graduation.
Affirmative Action Officer
Foreign Service Officer
International Development Coordinator
Public Affairs Coordinator
To research various UI majors, minors and certificates, visit Find Your Program.
Firsthand (formerly Vault). Select "The Library" just below home icon on left vertical navigation menu. Click on "Guides" then select Nonprofit or Law from drop down menu to view:
Vault Guide to Nonprofit Jobs
Vault Career Guide to Law
Vault Guide to Legal Practice Areas
Vault Guide to First Year of Law School
Firsthand -follow directions to left then select "other industries" from drop down within Guides to view:
Vault Guide to Criminal Justice Jobs
Vault Guide to Security & Investigation Jobs
Vault Guide to Religious Ministries Jobs
Vault Guide to Public Safety Jobs
Vault Guide to Social Sciences Jobs
Vault Guide to Human Resources Jobs
Vault Guide to Social Services Jobs
Vault Guide to Elder Care Jobs
Vault Guide to Politics, Public Policy, & Activism Jobs
Vault Guide to Government Jobs
+ many more options!
Want to put your interests to good use? Join with other students who share them. Discover student organizations which relate to law and public service at the Center for Student Involvement and Leadership. You can browse the database by letter or search by keyword or name for locating student organizations.
Some examples of organizations that may be of interest are:
Phi Alpha Delta Pre-Law Society
Undergraduate Political Science Association
Pi Sigma Alpha
UI Student Government
Student United Way
United Nations Association
If you don’t want to join a club or don’t have the time, you can find and activities events related to your interests via After Class.
Check out student employment, internships & post-graduation full-time jobs in Handshake. Employers targeting University of Iowa students & alumni use this recruiting system to connect with you!
Finding opportunities to launch your career is a skill of its own. We also have tips for the search process for volunteering, internships, and jobs on other parts of our site and encourage you to make a career advising appointment.
Professional organizations are a great way to explore, prepare, experience, and achieve your career interests and goals!
- Explore - Learn what people in the industry do, talk about, and take action on
- Prepare - Learn about job titles, companies, and organizational/thought leaders
- Experience - Check out resources, including specialized job boards and LinkedIn groups to locate mentors and job shadowing/informational interview opportunities
- Achieve - Polish your professional image by taking an active part in your industry’s association. Reach your goals through networking and the professional development opportunities your association provides.
Plus, professional associations often offer discounted memberships to students!