Law & Public Service
- Do you consider yourself to be ambitious, resilient, or optimistic?
- Are you interested in learning about developing public policy or addressing issues through governmental initiatives?
- Does it sound like fun to argue legal issues or lead a civic improvement project?
- Could you see yourself working for a city, state, or federal agency or non-profit organization?
Careers in this community focus on public affairs, politics, and serving the community.
Meet the Community Advisors
Registration is now open for the Iowa Law Expo on Tuesday, 9/25/18. Connect with 100 Law School representatives. Attend workshops on preparation/application, diversity, job outlook and financing your education. FREE event!
Sample Industries & Occupations
Click Here to learn where Hawkeyes GO & what they DO after graduation.
Affirmative Action Officer
Foreign Service Officer
International Development Coordinator
Public Affairs Coordinator
To research various UI majors, minors and certificates, visit Find Your Program.
Vault for UI Students -Click on "Guides" to view:
Vault's Nonprofit Career Guide
Vault's Legal Practice Area Guide
Vault -Click "Guides," then "Other Industries" to view:
Vault's Politics, Public Policy & Activism
Vault's Public Safety Guide
Want to put your interests to good use? Join with other students who share them. Discover student organizations which relate to law and public service at the Center for Student Involvement and Leadership. You can browse the database by letter or search by keyword or name for locating student organizations.
Some examples of organizations that may be of interest are:
Phi Alpha Delta Pre-Law Society
Undergraduate Political Science Association
Pi Sigma Alpha
UI Student Government
Student United Way
United Nations Association
If you don’t want to join a club or don’t have the time, you can find and activities events related to your interests via After Class.
Check out student employment, internships & post-graduation full-time jobs in HireaHawk.com, powered by Handshake. Employers targeting University of Iowa students & alumni use this recruiting system to connect with you!
Finding opportunities to launch your career is a skill of its own. We also have tips for the search process for volunteering, internships, and jobs on other parts of our site and encourage you to make a career advising appointment.
Professional organizations are a great way to explore, prepare, experience, and achieve your career interests and goals!
- Explore - Learn what people in the industry do, talk about, and take action on
- Prepare - Learn about job titles, companies, and organizational/thought leaders
- Experience - Check out resources, including specialized job boards and LinkedIn groups to locate mentors and job shadowing/informational interview opportunities
- Achieve - Polish your professional image by taking an active part in your industry’s association. Reach your goals through networking and the professional development opportunities your association provides.
Plus, professional associations often offer discounted memberships to students!