- Do you consider yourself inquisitive, analytical, or insightful?
- Are you interested in learning about scientific issues or applying technical concepts to solve problems?
- Does it sound like fun to perform lab experiments or utilize a microscope to examine cells?
- Could you see yourself investigating scientific principles by collecting and analyzing data?
Careers in this community focus on designing and conducting research to improve products, processes, and ways of living.
Meet the Community Advisors
Sample Occupations & Industries
Click Here to learn where Hawkeyes GO & what they DO after graduation.
- Clinical Trials Manager
- Crime Lab Technician
- Food Scientist
- Forensic Scientist
- Laboratory Manager/Director
- Marine Biologist
- Materials Chemist
- Medical Lab Science
- Medical Science Research
- Pharmaceutical Sales
- Product Development Research
- Production Scientist
- Quality Control/Assurance
- Science Education
- Scientific Writer
- Wildlife Biologist
- Careers in:
- Bureau of Labor Statistics - Life, Physical, and Social Science Occupations
- College Grad - Life, Physical, and Social Science Careers
- Science Careers
- Guide to Biology and Life Science Jobs
- Guide to Chemistry Jobs
- Guide to Mathematics and Physics Jobs
- Guide to Pharmaceuticals and Biotechnology Jobs
- Guide to Space Exploration Jobs
To research various UI majors, minors and certificates, visit Find Your Program.
Want to put your interests to good use? Join other students who share them. Discover student organizations which relate to science and research at the Center for Student Involvement and Leadership. You can browse the OrgSync database by letter or search by keyword or name for locating student organizations.
Some examples of organizations that may be of interest:
- American Chemical Society Student Chapter
- Biochemistry Majors Club
- Microbiology Undergraduate Student Association
- Society of Physics Students
- UI Bio
- Women in Science and Engineering (WISE)
Also consider volunteering as a way to explore your interests, build your resume, and connect with the community!
- Volunteer Center of Johnson County (search for local opportunities)
- UI Alternative Spring Break Service Trips
- UI Volunteer Fair (held at the start of each semester)
In addition, you can find activities and events related to your interests via After Class
Check out student employment, internships & post-graduation full-time jobs in HireaHawk.com, powered by Handshake. Employers targeting University of Iowa students & alumni use this recruiting system to connect with you!
- UI Summer Research Programs
- Iowa Center for Research by Undergraduates (ICRU)
- Iowa Lakeside Laboratory
- National Science Foundation - Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) Sites
- Pathways to Science Summer Research Opportunities
- Summer Biochemistry & Molecular Biology Research Programs
- Summer Pre-Health & Research Opportunities
Internship & Job Opportunities
Professional organizations are a great way to explore, prepare, experience, and achieve your career interests and goals!
- Explore - Learn what people in the industry do, talk about, and take action on
- Prepare - Learn about job titles, companies, and organizational/thought leaders
- Experience - Check out resources, including specialized job boards and LinkedIn groups to locate mentors and job shadowing/informational interview opportunities
- Achieve - Polish your professional image by taking an active part in your industry’s association. Reach your goals through networking and the professional development opportunities your association provides.
Plus, professional associations often offer discounted memberships to students!