FAQs for Going Virtual
How do I use services by the Career Center when campus is closed?
At this time the Pomerantz Career Center office at C310 PC is not open, but we are still able to help you virtually. Please see the information below for directions about how to get in touch with advisors and/or utilize our services.
Online Resume and Cover Letter Reviews
You can submit your resume or cover letter for review by filling out the form here: https://careers.uiowa.edu/form/online-resume-review-optin. Note that you must upload your resume/cover letter in Handshake, and your feedback will come to you as a Handshake message within a few days.
Peer Advisor Questions
Our Career Peer Advisors will be available to support students with their career questions starting March 30.
To connect with a Peer Advisor, you can either chat in-person via a virtual drop-in appointment or submit your questions via email. See directions for each option below.
1. Virtual Drop-In Advising (offered 10am-3pm Monday-Friday)
- To connect on your computer, follow this link: https://uiowa.zoom.us/j/723070349
- To connect via phone, dial a number below that is closet to your location (note you may need to try a few different options)
+1 646 876 9923 US (New York)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US
+1 301 715 8592 US
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
Meeting ID: 723 070 349
Find your local number: https://uiowa.zoom.us/u/adrZod3L0C
2. Email Your Questions
Submit your questions by emailing email@example.com and we will get back to you with an answer, helpful tips/resources, or a referral related to your question. Here are some topics our Peer Advisors are ready to assist you with:
Resume and cover letter
Help with navigating Handshake
Job/internship searching tips
Career Advising Appointments
Career advisors will still be available for appointments, but all appointments will be online using Zoom (no in-person options are available at this time). Directions to schedule an appointment:
- Click on the “Advising Appointment” tile in MyUI, and in the dropdown menu select to schedule a new appointment with “Pomerantz Career Center.”
- Select a career community of interest to you. Remember that if you are unsure/exploring, advisors in any career community can assist you!
- Select the time that works best for your schedule.
- Review the confirmation email that you get from scheduling your appointment. The location in the confirmation email will be a link to a Zoom meeting. At the time of your meeting, you will need to click on this link to be connected with your advisor.
Your instructor will contact you directly with any instructions specific to your course. Please be sure to regularly check your uiowa email account and your course ICON site for announcements. Please contact your instructor with any questions.
Mock Interviews, Job & Internship Searching
- Starting March 23rd all mock interviews will take place over the phone for the remainder of the semester.
- Student registration for mock interviews will take place on Handshake as usual.
- Please make sure your primary phone number is listed on your resume when you sign up for a mock interview time.
- Employers will reach out to you directly at your scheduled time, via the phone number on your resume submission.
- Employers will confirm your attendance to the Pomerantz Career Center via email after completion.
- The cancellation policy for interviews still applies: https://careers.uiowa.edu/interview-cancellation-policy-and-interviewing-tips
- Continue using Handshake to find/apply for campus jobs, internships or full-time post-grad.
Virtual Career Resources
NEW! UI Virtual Career Fair | April 15, 2020 | Jobseekers FAQs
Don’t forget our many online resources which can be found by visiting student section of our website, including some that may be of immediate assistance.
- What Can I Do With This Major?
- Online Career Assessments to provide customized information to help with major/career decision-making.
- Find resources specific to your career interests.
- Download our interactive Career Guide.
- Help with Resumes, Cover Letters, and Interview Preparation/Practice
- Help with Finding an Internship and Seeking Credit/Reporting Internships
- Check out Job Search Checklist
- Graduate & Professional School assistance and Gap Years
- Continue using Handshake to find/apply for campus jobs, internships or full-time post-grad. jobs.