With travel restrictions and best practices for social distancing in place, in-person interviewing will be a challenge for students and employers. The Pomerantz Career Center has developed a system to allow employers to still perform their typical on campus interviews virtually via Handshake. This allows employers to still meet their hiring needs and provides students a way of engaging in job and internship interviews without having to travel.
- To Request an Interview Schedule:
- Log-in to your Handshake Account and Request an Interview Schedule
- For Interview Name, type in “Phone Interview” or “Virtual Interview”
- Description Field: Also Type in “Phone Interview” or “Virtual Interview” and include what software you will be using.
- You will have the option to manage your schedule through Handshake, or build your own schedule outside of Handshake.
- Prior to the interview
- Add your method of contact to the Interview Description. This might include providing the video conference link or indicating that you will be calling the phone number provided on the resume.
- Message candidates directly with the mode of contact, and if using video software, any required password to join. We would also recommend providing the student with alternative contact information for that day should they have difficulty connecting via the mode provided.
- After the Interview
- It is incredibly important for our reporting and data tracking needs that we at the Career Center identify the University of Iowa students who participate in interviews. As such, we will reach out to you after your interview to confirm the students who participated, as well as any no shows/cancellations.
Questions regarding virtual interviews? Email Sherry Rhinehart.