Hawkeye Internship Grant
The Hawkeye Internship Grant awards stipends for undergraduate students who are interning at a non-profit or in a government office. Funds can cover food, housing, etc. associated with participating in the internship.
The Hawkeye Internship Grant Application for Summer 2020 is closed. Check this page again in Spring 2021 for the application for Summer 2021.
Please be aware that funding is contingent upon any decisions made by The University of Iowa regarding summer 2020 due to quickly evolving public health concerns across the globe and in the U.S. on COVID-19. We recommend regularly check your UI email address for communication closer to your internship start date, and checking-in regularly with your proposed internship host site to keep up-to-date with their changing situation regarding in-person, virtual, delayed start dates, or cancellations. Additional UI information can be found here.
What are the eligibility requirements?
- Student must be a full-time, degree seeking undergraduate student at the UI for one semester prior to the experience and enrolled for the semester following the experience**
- Student must have completed at least 75 credits before the start of the internship experience
- Must have a UI GPA of 2.0 or above
- Student must be in good academic and judicial standing (UI code of student life)
- No outstanding tuition or fees
**Exceptions will be made for students participating in a required experience for graduation that has time restrictions (ex. Social Work practicums)
Internship Eligibility Requirements
- Internship is unpaid or paid below minimum wage
- Internship is located in the United States
- Internship is at a non-profit or in government**
- 20-40 hours of work per week for 8-12 weeks
- Supervised by a professional in the field
- Internships via programs (ex. The Washington Center) are not eligible
**Government includes city, county, state, or federal offices as well as working in an elected official's office.
We encourage students to reach out to Pomerantz Career Center staff to explore the eligibility of their internships.
If a student receives a Hawkeye Internship Grant, they are not eligible for future Hawkeye Internship Grants.
What are the application requirements?
- An official internship offer letter & job description from your supervisor or human resources that confirms supervisor name, email address, phone number; start & end date, hours worked; main job duties; any remuneration (pay, housing stipend, bus passes, cafeteria food, etc.) or lack thereof.
- A 1-2 page resume or CV
- A statement of purpose addressing your funding needs, learning goals for the internship, the impact that you will have on your internship site, and the potential impact of the internship on your career. The essay should be 1 page minimum, 2 pages maximum and single-spaced, 12 point font.
- A potential budget including costs for housing, food, utilities, etc.
We encourage applicants to have resumes/CVs reviewed at the Pomerantz Career Center and/or work with the Writing Center to review their essays.
What is required if you receive the award?
- Attend a Zoom orientation with the Pomerantz Career Center prior to beginning your internship
- Enroll in a Pomerantz Career Center internship course during the internship
- Share about the experience via presentation or video upon your return to campus
Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to participate in University of Iowa programs. If you are a person with a disability and require an accommodation in order to apply, please contact the Pomerantz Career Center, (319) 335-1023.