Our knowledgeable Career Peer Advisors are available to present to your student organization or at various campus events on the topics below.
Please note that most presentations will be approximately 30 minutes in length and are designed to serve broad audiences. Please include extra notes in your service request if there is anything additional you would like us to cover, and we will try our best to accommodate!
- Creating a Dynamic Resume
- Cover Letters
- Identifying and Marketing Transferable Skills
- Internship Search
- Interviewing Tips
- LinkedIn and Personal Branding
- Networking Basics
- Overview of Services and Intro to Handshake
If you would like to request a more tailored presentation, please use the same request form link (below) and include a detailed description of the type of service/presentation you’re looking for – we will work to connect you with someone who can provide information on your topic of interest.
Note: In order to meet demand, we require request be completed and submitted 3-4 weeks in advance. Student organizations may request one program/semester.
Handshake is the Pomerantz Career Center Online Recruiting site where students can sign-up for mock interviews, register their internships, find and apply to positions, sign-up for on-campus interviews and more. Please refer students to this system when they are searching for jobs and internships.
Test Student Account - For Viewing as a Student
Request Access to a "Test Student" Account
Please submit this form and we will create a "Test Student" account for you. With this account, you will be able to view positions and recommend positions to your students. You will be able to see exactly what students can see which is helpful if you are walking students through the system.
Log-In to Your "Test Student" Account- choose log in using Email and Password towards the bottom of the screen
Contact & Employer Account - For Posting Positions for Your Department
Let us help you develop an assignment to incorporate into your curriculum to help students learn more about the Career Center.
We can assist them with their major/career choice, preparing for a job or internship search, creating resumes/cover letters, researching employers etc. Some instructors require these assignments, and others offer them as extra credit options.
Possible assignments may include:
- Completing an interest assessment
- Note: please see the UI Course Fee Policy for information on how an assessment with associated cost should be handled.
- Writing and having a resume or cover letter reviewed
- Touring the Career Center - make arrangements to come and hear an overview of services and/or take a tour so your students know where we are and how to use our services
- Conducting an informational interview
- Attending a Career Fair or Career Center sponsored program
- Completing a Mock Interview - students can participate in our mock interview program or Big Interview (a virtual product) as a class activity or assignment.
Grab and Go ICON Content
Our Grab and Go ICON Content has a variety of career-related educational content. This content is designed for faculty and course instructors who are interested in incorporating career resources and activities into academic courses.
To request access to the Grab and Go Content, please fill out the following form:
To get started, schedule a meeting with your Career Community Liaison, or call the Senior Director, Career Coaching at 319-335-1023.
Each year, the Pomerantz Career Center hosts multiple career fairs on-campus. Some of these events are large fairs hosting more than 150 employers. These events are open to all majors. There are a few targeted fairs for specific majors as well - Education, Actuarial Science & Risk Management etc.
How Can You Assist Your Students?
- Make sure they are aware of the upcoming fairs
- Encourage younger students to attend so they become familiar with the format and are more prepared when they begin looking for jobs & internships
- Advise students to research employers they are interested in speaking with. They can view tips on researching employers and networking on our website.
- Encourage students to have their resume reviewed by the Career Center during our walk-in hours
- Encourage students to access their Handshake accounts to research and connect with employers in advance of the fair. Students can RSVP and submit their resumes to as many individual employers as they would like. Students should also be encouraged to update their HireaHawk.com profile and upload their reviewed resume so that they are ready to apply for jobs & internships through the system
- Encourage students to attend the Prepare for the Fair sessions so they can learn more about networking with employers and how to present themselves and make the best first impression
Refer a Student
If you meet with students who are asking questions about career choices, changing majors, internships and other career related topics, please refer them to the Pomerantz Career Center. Our walk-in hours are Monday-Friday, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. and the student can also schedule an appointment through their MyUI account (click on advising appointment then Pomerantz Career Center).
Please call 319-335-1023 to schedule a meeting with the Director of Career Advancement to discuss how we can assist your students.
Refer an Employer
If you make contact with an employer or university department seeking to post their internship or full-time opportunities, please direct them to the Employer Relations Team.