Practice, practice, practice is always recommended when it comes to interviewing. After practicing several times, you will become more confident before the interview for the internship, school, or job of your dreams! Use any of the numerous resources the Pomerantz Career Center offers to help you prepare.
Three methods to help you prepare:
- Mock interview with an employer
- Meet with a Career Coach to review your saved practice interview in Big Interview (for pre-medical, pre-dental and other professional school applications)
- Big Interview
The purpose of a mock interview with an employer is to provide you with an opportunity to practice your interviewing skills in an environment similar to an actual interview. Mock interviews are a great opportunity to become familiar with commonly asked interview questions and interview etiquette. The Pomerantz Career Center offers mock interviews each semester to allow individuals to practice and improve their interviewing skills.
- Interviews are 45 minutes total length - 20-25 minutes of interviewing and 10-15 minutes of critiquing. Please arrive approximately 15 minutes before your scheduled interview. You may also bring with you any specific questions about interviewing, job searching, resume writing, etc.
- Interviewers are employers from surrounding communities who are volunteering their time to help you improve your interviewing skills. Make sure to research the company prior to the interview.
- Dress professionally, as you would for an actual interview and bring a copy of your resume.
6 Steps to Sign Up for a Mock Interview
STEP 1: Log into your Handshake account
STEP 2: Enter or Update Profile Information
STEP 3: Upload Your Resume. Click on your name in the upper right hand corner and then Documents and Add New Document.
STEP 4: To apply to a mock interview, go to Jobs and type Mock into the keyword search area.
STEP 5: Click on the title of the mock interview you are interested in and then click Apply.
STEP 6: Select Interview, Click Submit, Sign up for available time slots when prompted via email from Handshake. Make sure the resume you would like the employer to see is the one that appears in the drop down box.
What to expect and how to prepare for upcoming interviews or career fairs
Discuss and receive feedback on your saved Big Interview practice interview. There are general and topic-specific mock interviews in Big Interview. These include practice interviews for K-12 teaching, graduate school admissions, medical school, dental school, nursing, chiropractic, occupational therapy, optometry, pharmacy, physician assistant, physical therapy, podiatry, veterinary school and much more!