Future Benefits of Student Employment
- Development of transferrable skills, such as time management and organizational skills; understanding of personal skills, talents and interests leading to the right career path for you
- Development of a mature professional mindset
- The understanding of what employers look for to stand out in a professional environment
- The chance to network and build relationships with professional mentors on campus
- Understanding the resources available to you as a student to assist in your academic and professional success
Academic Benefits of Student Employment
- Increased enrollment retention and graduation rates for on-campus student workers
- Students working 1-20 hours per week have a higher average GPA than their non-working peers
Students talk about the skills and confidence they have gained from their student employment experiences.
The Pomerantz Career Center assists in the professional development of student employees by providing opportunities such as the UI STEP (Student to Employed Professional) professional development workshop and the 2 credit hour professional development academic course, along with assistance with Handshake.
For questions regarding student employment on the University of Iowa campus, please contact Josh Frahm by phone at 319-353-2838 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.