Environment & Sustainability
- Do you consider yourself problem-focused, thoughtful, or eco-friendly?
- Are you interested in learning about human/environment interactions or conservation efforts that support sustainable living?
- Does it sound like fun to conduct field work outside?
- Could you see yourself analyzing environmental data through geologic mapping, helping to prevent environmental hazard disasters, or advocating for “going green"?
Careers in this community focus on studying the physical aspects of the earth and applying knowledge to educate and inform on how to protect the environment and human/animal health.
Meet the Community Career Coaches
Campus Resources & Initiatives
Sample Occupations & Industries
Click Here to see where Hawkeyes GO & what they DO after graduation.
- Aquatic Toxicologist
- Campaign Organizer
- Climate Change Analyst
- Community Organizer
- Conservation Manager
- Ecotourism Director
- Energy Specialist
- Environmental Analyst/Manager/Planner
- Environmental Economist
- Environmental Engineer
Environmental Accountant/Marketing Assistant/Public Relations Associate
Farmer's Market Manager
Field Research Coordinator
- Forester/Forestry Technician
- Geodatabase Analyst
- GIS Analyst/Coordinator/Specialist
- Land Conservation Specialist
- Natural Resources Specialist
- Marine Biologist
- Museum Technician/Assistant
- Outdoor Guide
- Park Ranger
- Peace Corps Member
- Seed Collector
- Sustainability Coordinator/Specialist
- Urban/Regional Planners
- Wastewater Treatment Specialist
- Water Conservation Specialist
- Water Quality Specialist
- Watershed Restoration Specialist
- Wildlife Specialist
- Wind Energy Operations/Project Manager
Firsthand (formerly Vault) - Select "The Library" just under home icon on left vertical navigation menu. Click on "Guides", then select "Other Industries" or "Energy" from drop down menu to view:
- Vault Guide to Environmental Careers
- Vault Guide to Environmental Science and Conservation Jobs
- Vault Guide to Green Programs
- Vault Guide to Park and Public Land Jobs
- Vault Career Guide to Energy
- Vault Guide to Utilities Jobs
- Vault Guide to Alternative Energy Jobs and many other titles!
Sustainability within Business
- B Corps (Find for-profit companies who meet rigorous social and environmental standards)
- Campus Sustainability Resources (UI Office of Sustainability)
- Career Information for Undergraduates (Ecological Society of America)
- Green Marketing
- Environmental Accounting
Environmental Law & Policy
- Harvard Law School's "A Trail Guide to Careers in Environmental Law"
- 7 Considerations for Pursuing an Environmental Law Career
- What is an Environmental Lawyer?
Additional suggestions include:
- UI student organizations involved in environment & sustainability
- Undergraduate Geography Association
- Iowa Community Integrated Geography Organization (ICIGO)
Volunteering is another great way to explore your interests, build your resume, and connect with the community! Learn more about UI civic engagement and service programs, visit The Community Space or schedule a volunteer advising meeting to get started.
Additional Suggestions Include:
- Bur Oak Land Trust
- Iowa Department of Natural Resources
- Iowa Volunteer Water Monitoring
- Indian Creek Nature Center
- Iowa Nature Conservancy Events
- Neal Smith National Wildlife Refuge Prairie Learning Center
- Sierra Club Chapter List by State
Check out student employment, internships & post-graduation full-time jobs in Handshake. Employers targeting University of Iowa students & alumni use this recruiting system to connect with you!
- American Planning Association Career Center
- Anna Beal Internship Program (Iowa)
- Cyber-Sierra Natural Resources
- Environmental Law & Policy Center
- Environmental Protection Agency
- GreenJobs (UK)
- Neal Smith Wildlife Refuge Internships (Iowa)
- Niabi Zoo Animal Care, Conservation or Horticulture Internships
- State Hygienic Lab (Iowa)
- Marine Careers
- North American Association for Environmental Education
- The National Park Service
- The Student Conservation Association
Gap Year Options (includes fellowships)
USAJobs (Federal Jobs Database)
GoGovernment (helpful application tips & info. on federal employment)
Professional Organizations are a great way to Explore, Prepare, Experience and Achieve!
Explore: Learn what people in the industry do, talk about, and take action on.
Prepare: Learn job titles, companies, and organizational/thought leaders.
Experience: Check out the resources; including specialized job boards, and LinkedIn groups to find mentors and job shadowing/informational interviewing opportunities.
Achieve: Polish your professional image by taking an active part in your industry’s association. Reach your goals through networking and the professional development opportunities your association provides.
Plus, professional associations often offer discounted memberships to students!