Environment & Sustainability
- Do you consider yourself problem-focused, thoughtful, or eco-friendly?
- Are you interested in learning about human/environment interactions or conservation efforts that support sustainable living?
- Does it sound like fun to conduct field work outside?
- Could you see yourself analyzing environmental data through geologic mapping, helping to prevent environmental hazard disasters, or advocating for “going green"?
Careers in this community focus on studying the physical aspects of the earth and applying knowledge to educate and inform on how to protect the environment and human/animal health.
Meet the Community Advisors
Upcoming Events of Interest (free for students)
- Apply to the Underrepresented Students in Sustainability (USS) Mentoring Program! USS aims to connect underrepresented undergraduates exploring careers in environmental sustainability with University of Iowa faculty who are passionate about the field. All undergraduates at the University of Iowa are welcome to apply, and preference is given to students who: (1) identify with a group that is underrepresented in environmental sustainability (2) come from economically, geographically, or educationally disadvantaged backgrounds; or (3) have demonstrated interest in environmental justice and working with underserved populations. Submit your application before 5:00 PM on Sunday, October 6th.
- Science & Environmental Studies Virtual Graduate School Fair - October 15, 2019. Register & learn more about participating programs.
Campus Resources & Initiatives
Sample Occupations & Industries
Click Here to see where Hawkeyes GO & what they DO after graduation.
- Aquatic Toxicologist
- Campaign Organizer
- Climate Change Analyst
- Community Organizer
- Conservation Manager
- Ecotourism Director
- Energy Specialist
- Environmental Analyst/Manager/Planner
- Environmental Economist
- Environmental Engineer
Environmental Accountant/Marketing Assistant/Public Relations Associate
Farmer's Market Manager
Field Research Coordinator
- Forester/Forestry Technician
- Geodatabase Analyst
- GIS Analyst/Coordinator/Specialist
- Land Conservation Specialist
- Natural Resources Specialist
- Marine Biologist
- Museum Technician/Assistant
- Outdoor Guide
- Park Ranger
- Peace Corps Member
- Seed Collector
- Sustainability Coordinator/Specialist
- Urban/Regional Planners
- Wastewater Treatment Specialist
- Water Conservation Specialist
- Water Quality Specialist
- Watershed Restoration Specialist
- Wildlife Specialist
- Wind Energy Operations/Project Manager
To research various UI majors, minors and certificates, visit Find Your Program.
Vault for UI Students (Click on "Guides", then "Other Industries" to view
- Vault Guide to Environmental Careers
- Vault Guide to Environmental Science and Conservation Jobs
- Vault Guide to Green Programs
- Vault Guide to Park and Public Land Jobs
Sustainability within Business
- B Corps (Find for-profit companies who meet rigorous social and environmental standards)
- Campus Sustainability Resources (UI Office of Sustainability)
- Career Information for Undergraduates (Ecological Society of America)
- Green Marketing
- Environmental Accounting
Environmental Law & Policy
- Harvard Law School's "A Trail Guide to Careers in Environmental Law"
- 7 Considerations for Pursuing an Environmental Law Career
- What is an Environmental Lawyer?
Want to put your interests to good use? Join with other students who share them. Check out student organizations involved in environment & sustainability.
Related Student Organizations:
Volunteering is another great way to explore your interests, build your resume, and connect with the community!
- Volunteer Center of Johnson County
- Hawkeye Service Breaks
- UI Volunteer Fair (held at the start of each semester)
Check out student employment, internships & post-graduation full-time jobs in Handshake. Employers targeting University of Iowa students & alumni use this recruiting system to connect with you!
- American Planning Association Career Center
- Cyber-Sierra Natural Resources
- Environmental Law & Policy Center
- Environmental Protection Agency
- GreenJobs (UK)
- Iowa Anna Beal Internship
- Niabi Zoo Animal Care, Conservation or Horticulture Internships
- State Hygienic Lab (Iowa)
- Marine Careers
- North American Association for Environmental Education
- The National Park Service
- The Student Conservation Association
USAJobs (Federal Jobs Database)
GoGovernment (helpful application tips & info. on federal employment)
Professional Organizations are a great way to Explore, Prepare, Experience and Achieve!
Explore: Learn what people in the industry do, talk about, and take action on.
Prepare: Learn job titles, companies, and organizational/thought leaders.
Experience: Check out the resources; including specialized job boards, and LinkedIn groups to find mentors and job shadowing/informational interviewing opportunities.
Achieve: Polish your professional image by taking an active part in your industry’s association. Reach your goals through networking and the professional development opportunities your association provides.
Plus, professional associations often offer discounted memberships to students!