Posting Jobs & Internships
What can be posted?
On-Campus/student employment, part-time positions, internships and full-time positions for undergraduate and graduate students can be posted in the system.
We are no longer allowing Private Home positions to be posted in the system. Please view alternate posting sites.
Instructions for Posting a Position
Posting a Position
- Create or log into your Handshake account
- Click "Post a Job" on your Employer homepage. You can also click "Jobs" in the left navigation bar and select "Create a Job" toward the right hand corner.
- Complete the form (Basics, Details, Preferences, Schools) and then select "Next". Be sure to select which schools to post to.
- Add your Start and End Dates and select "Create".
Editing a Position
- Click "Jobs" in the left navigation bar
- Select the job you are interested in updating
- Select "Edit Job" at the top. From here, you can edit each section of the job posting by clicking through the bottom tabs.
- Don't forget to save your changes when you are done.
How to Source Candidates for Your Positions - Search for Students and Download Public Resumes
- Click "Search Students" in the left navigation bar
- Select the criteria for your search
- Click on individual student names or in the uppermost checkbox, select the entire page of results. Once an item is checked, you will see bulk action options to appear. You can select the entirety of your results, message students (100 message limit per recruiting season) or download resumes.
- Click "Download Resumes" and click "Confirm" to proceed.
Employer User Agreement & Posting Guidelines
There is no fee to use the University of Iowa's Handshake site. By creating a Handshake account, you agree to comply with the Handshake Terms of Service.
There are fees associated with some recruiting activities such as fairs and other related events.
By establishing an account and posting positions, you affirm and agree to the following statement:
I agree that I am solely responsible for the content of my profile and the content of all listings that I post in the system and I will indemnify The University of Iowa and hold it harmless for any losses or damages that may result directly or indirectly from my usage of the system. I understand that my account may be suspended or deactivated without prior notice at any time for any reason.
1. All job postings must be for legitimate openings. No multi-level marketing jobs, mystery shopper, door-to-door sales, home-based businesses, or "business opportunity" postings are allowed.
2. For a position to be posted as a student employment job, it must meet these requirements:
- Be part-time - part-time is defined as 20 hours per week during the academic year and up to 40 hours per week in the summer for University campus jobs and no more than 30 hours per week during the academic year for off-campus jobs
- Be local - local is defined as an employer whose offices or operations and job location are within 30 miles of Iowa City
- Be paid by the hour
- Full-time, salary or commission jobs cannot be advertised as student employment jobs
3. For an off-campus student employment job to be posted as Work-Study, the employer must be a non-profit or government agency and approved by the Student Financial Aid Office.
- To learn more about the approval process, go to: https://financialaid.uiowa.edu/studentemployment/employers/employers/hiring/approval or contact Student Financial staff at 319-335-1450.
4. For a position to be listed as an internship, it must meet these requirements:
- Professional experience which relates to the student's major field or area of career interest
- At least 80% professional work
- Occupies at least one academic term (fall, spring or summer)
- At least 10 weeks in duration during the spring or fall term, or 8 weeks during the summer
- Interns must work a minimum of 10 hours per week
- Requires continuous supervision by a professional in the field (not a student)
5. Every full-time job must require/prefer at least a Bachelor’s degree.
6. Part-time student employment (must be within 30 miles of campus) and part-time professional positions may be posted in the system. A part-time professional position is one that is defined as requiring/preferring a bachelor's degree and relates to a 4-year degree career path).
7. The job title, description and requirements must be included. Organizations must identify themselves and the location of the position.
8. Third party recruiters, search firms, employment consultants and placement services must identify themselves as such and must not require a placement fee from the student.
9. Study abroad programs, internship placements abroad, and teaching placements abroad that include a placement fee cannot be posted on the University of Iowa's Handshake site - if so, they will be declined.
Organizations should contact Work, Intern and Volunteer Abroad at the Office of Study Abroad.
10. Employers using the University of Iowa's Handshake site, including attending or hosting recruiting events related to postings, agree to abide by the laws and policies regarding Equal Employment Opportunity as defined by the EEOC.
The Pomerantz Career Center reserves the right to decline any employers/postings or deactivate any accounts if employers do not follow these policies.
11. Contact information must be kept current and available to the Pomerantz Career Center and Student Employment staff along with additional data (full name, address, phone, email).
12. It is the responsibility of the employer to cancel a posting if the opportunity has been filled or closed or to renew the posting if desired, by extending the expiration date.
13. Postings, communications and event participation are strictly limited to the recruiting of job seekers for legitimate positions.
Any use of resources to solicit, market or sell goods or services will result in the suspension of employer’s access to all Pomerantz Career Center services.
14. Employers hosting recruiting events involving University of Iowa students, whether on- or off-campus, are required to follow University policies and applicable laws regarding the serving of alcoholic beverages.
(UI Policies) Recruiting organizations are strongly discouraged from serving alcohol at off-campus events.
15. The Pomerantz Career Center reserves the right to determine if an employer, employer contact, or employer posting is in violation of this Agreement and posting guidelines.
Violations are subject to immediate removal from any or all Pomerantz Career Center services without notice.
16. By posting your job or internship through Handshake, you agree that it is in compliance with this Agreement and posting guidelines.
In order to prevent abuse and to keep the system appropriate for our students, we reserve the right to remove any employer, contact or posting without prior notice, at any time for any reason.